Saturday, July 15, 2006

Easy-peasy Chocolate Cake

Mom asked for a good chocolate cake recipe a while back, and I typed it up and sent it to her. She told me it turned out really well, and I figured I might as well post recipes that are easy to make and always work. A.k.a. tried-and-proven things.

So, here is the recipes for my never-failing-chocolate cake, doesn't even take long to make.

Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:

1 cup of cocoa, unsweetened
2 cups boiling water
2 3/4 cups flour (your basic, non-self-rising kind)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup softened butter or margerine
2 1/4 cups sugar
4 eggs
vanilla

So, first you pour the boiling water over the cocoa, whisking it till it's smooth and then put it aside to cool off. That can be done before you even start the cake, since it does take a while to cool off. Cream up the butter and sugar until fluffy, then you beat in the eggs one at a time. (Actually this cake is a bit like a pound cake, but not as heavy!) Stir in the vanilla (or vanilla sugar) and then add the SIFTED flour and cocoa mix alternately.
Now, I divided the batter into 3 different pans, although you can also put them into one big pan, you will just have to check to see if it's done more often (toothpick-test) and the top often gets harder since the whole cake has to stay in longer. It's probably better to split up the batter into 2 or 3 pans. This batter is for no small cake, so you might want to make some icing.

I made a chocolate icing once, but then I put only half the amount of sugar into the cake, or you can also make a butterscotch icing. If you want it real easy, use lots of whipped cream! :-)
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Hanna, I'm looking forward to trying those recipes. I've already tried the chocolate cake for my Mom's birthday & got noyhing but raves. It's Excellent plus, Easy!!!