
On Mandy's birthday last year I made her a Barbie Princess cake. She and her friends were enthused, parents impressed, when actually it was nothing fancy! Here you can get cheap cake layers, sort of like angel food cake. I bought 3 cake layers and cut each cake a bit smaller than the other. I made some sort of simple icing, mixed a few canned cherries in there. I bought food coloring and Marzipan, I had the idea for the dress in mind already. I colored the marzipan with the food coloring and (reminded me of playing with play-dough) I made the dress. Before I got to the bodice, I stuck half a Barbie in the top and then finished off the dress. Made a little crown for the doll, and presto, you have a barbie cake!

Admitted, the doll looked a bit short, or a little pregnant (a litte bit pg, har har) but the kids didn't notice. I slapped on a bit of whipped cream for decorations and made a candle "bouquet" for the doll to hold and Mandy to blow out. It was actually a lot of fun making, and even more fun when the little girls all fought over what part of the dress they wanted to eat.
The year before that, I had made her a fairy castle cake. I bought chocolate layer cake, cut out circles with some plastic cups, put icing between each cut out circle and stacked them on shashlick picks for the tower. I made a cone out of paper for the tower roofs, but someone said I could have also used ice-cream cones. The rest was mainly decoration, little pink sugar hearts, little pink marshmallows, etc. The picture isn't all that good.
Let's see what I can come up with this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment