Sunday, August 23, 2009

Bulgogi



I loved this stuff when I first tried it, and if I had my way I would eat it every single weekend!

Bulgogi:

The whole idea is simple, marinate your meat the evening before.
I buy tenderloin or sirloin for my beef and ask them to slice it really thin. At home I cut it in about finger-long strips and marinate.

Marinade:
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup broth
5-6 garlic cloves
1/8th cup of sliced ginger
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1 shotglas of sake
3 green onions, sliced thinly lengthwise
3-4 tablespoons of sesame oil

optional: julienned strips of carrot

For variety I marinade pork and turkey meat as well, although I substitute brown sugar for white sugar and use less ginger on the pork.
Tastes best if you marinate overnight but 3-6 hours can also do the trick.

We like to eat the Sangjju Ssam bulgogi where you put the rice, meat and ssam jang sauce into a lettuce leaf.
The ssam jang sauce we had at the restaurant was pretty sweet and not spicy at all, I did find a few spicy recipes as well though:

4 Tbs of soybean paste (Korean-doenjang/Japanese-Miso)
4 Tbs medium ground red chili powder (or less depending on how spicy you like it)
1 tsp sugar
2 green/spring onion
4 cloves garlic
1 Tbs of sesame seeds
1/2 Tbs of sesame oil
1 Tbs rice wine
1 Tbs soy sauce

water

No comments: